For a modern, detailed map of Henfield showing house numbers, names, etc., I can recommend the West Sussex County Council Interactive Map:
There are six maps of Henfield in the section below:
- A downloadable streetmap of the village centre, showing footpaths. Click the icons below to download the map either as a JPG file for screen display, or as a PDF file for printing.
- A modern map of the district at 1:5000 scale
- A map from 1912 at 1:2500 scale
- A map from 1955 at 1:1250 scale
- A map from 1877 in two halves (east & west) at 1:2500 scale, showing field numbers and acreages
Clicking on a map button will open that map in a separate browser window. On a laptop, you can click on the displayed map with the magnifying glass cursor to show any section of it in its actual size. On a tablet, opening up the touch screen with two fingers will usually increase the magnification. This applies to all the maps in this section.
Clicking on the 1:5000 map button displays a modern 1:5000 scale map of the whole village and its environs. NOTE: This map does not contain the new Meadow Walk and Bishops Park estates.
Clicking on the 1912 map button displays a 25": 1 mile map of a large part of the village, dating from the turn of the last century. This is roughly equivalent to 1:2500 scale.
Clicking on the 1955 map button displays a map of the village and its environs surveyed in 1955. NOTE: This is a composite of 6 joined maps and is a very large file. It may take some time to load to your browser, and may be too large for some browsers.
Clicking on the 1897 map buttons displays two 25": 1 mile maps of the village and its eastern and western environs. This is equivalent to 1:2500 scale. The east section of the map shows most of the central part of the village, including the High Street. Many individual houses are named. The field numbers and acreages are no longer shown on modern OS maps. The three digit number in the centre of a field shows the surveyor's number for the field, and the figure below it gives the acreage to 3 decimal places. The elongated "S" spanning a field boundary is called a "brace" and was used to join areas, allowing the surveyor just to measure the combined spaces.